Back to News


OCTOBER 9, 2004

FIRE PREVENTION OPEN HOUSE

Lawrence Road Fire Co. Firehouse
Lawrence Township



On Saturday, October 9, 2004, a Fire Prevention Week openhouse was held at the Lawrence Road firehouse from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. by members of Station 22.

The event featured the debut of Lawrence Road’s new fire safety trailer, which arrived from the manufacturer, Mobile Concepts by Scotty, just a day earlier on Friday, October 8, 2004. A federal Assistance to Firefighters grant applied for by Gary Wasko and awarded to Lawrence Road Fire Co. in 2003 paid for 90 percent of the trailer. The remaining 10 percent of the trailer’s $43,000 cost was paid with money raised by the fire company. A “hazard house” fire safety model and other fire prevention materials were also purchased with the $53,100 grant.

During the openhouse, Station 22 volunteers escorted children through the fire safety trailer, which was set up in the firehouse parking lot along with Rescue 22 and Telesquirt 22. As a display for the public, many of Rescue 22’s Holmatro tools and other specialized equipment were arranged on a tarp by the apparatus, while Telesquirt 22’s ladder was raised to the firehouse roof.

Inside the firehouse visitors were given fire prevention and safety literature and given demonstrations of firefighters’ turnout gear, breathing apparatus and the new hazard house. Lawrence Police Officer Shawn Carroll was on hand to give out safety pamphlets, fingerprint children and speak to residents. Also on hand to answer questions from the public were paramedics from Capital Health System.

In addition to the two apparatus in the parking lot, children were given tours of Engine 22, which remained in its bay in the firehouse, and Car 22, which was parked on the firehouse ramp.

Free hot dogs and juice were provide as refreshments by the fire company.

At 1 p.m. an extrication evolution was conducted in the parking lot by Station 22 members. During the exercise, volunteers quickly cut away the doors and roof of an old car to demonstration Rescue 22’s equipment.

Top of page