Back to News



33 Abelia Court,
Lawrence Township

During the evening of Thursday, September 1, 2005, Lawrence Road Fire Co. members were among the firefighters who responded to a structure fire at 33 Abelia Court.

The blaze started in the first-floor kitchen of the two-story townhouse when a resident accidentally placed the plastic tray from a baby's high-chair atop a lit burner on the stove. The tray ignited and flames spread to the cabinets above. Residents phoned 911 and fled the home.

Mercer County Central Communications Center transmitted Box 23-11 at 8:37 p.m. and dispatched all three Lawrence Township fire companies Lawrenceville (Station 23), Lawrence Road (Station 22), and Slackwood (Station 21).

Also dispatched was an ambulance from Lawrence First Aid Squad.

At 8:38 p.m., Lawrenceville Chief Dave Burns arrived to find flames glowing in the kitchen window. Burns rushed into the home and was able to knock down most of the fire on the stove top using a portable extinguisher.

Engine 22 responded at 8:38 p.m., followed by Rescue 22, Engine 21, Snorkel 21 and Telesquirt 23 all at 8:39 p.m., Telesquirt 22 at 8:41 p.m., and then Rescue 23 at 8:42 p.m.

Arrival times for the apparatus were as follows: Telesquirt 23 at 8:41 p.m.; Engine 22 and Rescue 22 both at 8:43 p.m.; Rescue 23 at 8:45 p.m.; and Engine 21 and Snorkel 21 at 8:47 p.m. Telesquirt 22s arrival time was not logged.

Lawrence Road members who responded on Station 22 apparatus included: Chief Wayne Hannon, Assistant Chief Chris Pangaldi, Capt. Shaun Dlabik, Lt. Edward Kitchen, Ff. Joseph Dlabik Sr., Ff. Joseph Dlabik Jr., Ff. Ryan Dlabik, Ff. Charles Commini Sr., Ff. Charles Commini Jr., Ff. Evan Kutzin, Ff. Brian Laue, Ff. Steve Adzima, and Ff. Shaun Ryan.

Telesquirt 23 took a position in front of the building and its crew finished extinguishing the fire. Engine 22, meanwhile, backed up to Telesquirt 23 for water supply if needed.

Half of Engine 22s crew then reported to the second floor of the home to check for fire extension using a thermal imaging camera. (No extension was found). The other half of Engine 22s crew set up a positive pressure fan for ventilation.

At 8:55 p.m. the fire was declared under control all units were recalled except for Telesquirt 23 and Engine 22, which remained on scene to finish up overhaul and ventilation operations.

Engine 22 was eventually released from the scene at 9:08 p.m. and was back in quarters by 9:17 p.m.

Top of page