Back to News

NOVEMBER 5, 2005


1453 Pennington Road ,
Ewing Township

A crew of Lawrence Road Fire Co. volunteers responded mutual aid into Ewing Township for rapid intervention team duties during a working house fire during the afternoon of Saturday, November 5, 2005.

It was 3:46 p.m. when Mercer County Central Communications Center transmitted Box 31-10 and dispatched all three Ewing Township fire companies – Prospect Heights (Station 31), Pennington Road (Station 32) and West Trenton (Station 33) – for a reported structure fire at 1453 Pennington Road (Route 31).

An ambulance from Pennington Road First Aid Squad (Squad 132) was also dispatched.

Ambulance 132-1 and a Prospect Heights captain arrived on scene at about 3:58 p.m. and confirmed a working fire on the second floor of the dwelling.

Captain 31-1 requested a full first alarm, which resulted in a retone of all three Ewing fire companies and the dispatch of Lawrence Road’s Rescue 22 as the RIT at 3:50 p.m.

Ladder Tower 33 and Engine 32 both signed on radio at 3:51 p.m., followed by Squirt 31 at 3:52 p.m., Rescue 32 at 3:53 p.m., and Rescue 22 at 3:54 p.m.

Rescue 22 was commanded by Capt. Michael Byrd, driven by Capt. Shaun Dlabik, and crewed by Lt. Edward Kitchen, Ff. Brian Laue, Ff. R.J. Laird, Ff. Ryan Dlabik and Ff. Charles Commini Jr. Also responding to the scene in his own vehicle was Assistant Chief Chris Pangaldi.

Squirt 31, Engine 32, Rescue 32, and Ladder Tower 33 all arrived on scene by 3:56 p.m., followed by Rescue 22 at 3:58 p.m.

As hoselines were stretched into the house by Prospect Heights and Pennington Road crews, Ladder Tower 33’s crew threw ground ladders and climbed to the roof to cut a ventilation hole. Rescue 22’s crew, meanwhile, set up their RIT equipment.

At 4 p.m., an additional engine from Hamilton Township’s Enterprise Fire Co. (Station 14-2) was special-called to the scene for manpower.

Engine 31-1 responded at 4:01 p.m., followed by Engine 14-2 at 4:02 p.m., and Engine 33-1 at 4:03 p.m. Engine 31-1 reached the scene at 4:02 p.m., followed by Engine 33-1 at 4:07 p.m., and then Engine 14-2 at 4:19 p.m.

The blaze was officially declared under control at 4:15 p.m.

A small cat that was rescued from the smoke-filled home by Pennington Road Firefighter Dave Dubuque was treated on scene with oxygen by Pennington Road Firefighter/EMT Robert Nisen and Capital Health System Paramedic Mark Herschap.

After the fire was under control, Rescue 22’s crew was relieved of RIT duties and assigned to assist with overhaul operations on the second floor of the dwelling.

Rescue 22 finally cleared the scene at 5:20 p.m. and was back in quarters at Station 22 by 5:31 p.m. The last Ewing firefighters left the fireground at 6:10 p.m.

Top of page