Back to News

NOVEMBER 20, 2005


200 Bakers Basin Road,
Lawrence Township

During the afternoon of Sunday, November 20, 2005, Lawrence Road Fire Co. volunteers assisted Slackwood Fire Co. at a working house fire.

It was 2:26 p.m. when Mercer County Central Communications Center transmitted Box 21-20 for a reported structure fire at 200 Bakers Basin Road.

Dispatched at that time were the Slackwood (Station 21), Lawrence Road (Station 22) and Lawrenceville (Station 23) fire companies, along with Ladder 14 from Hamilton Township's Hamilton Fire Co. (Station 14-1) as the rapid intervention team.

Chief Wayne Hannon responded in Car 22 at 2:26 p.m., followed by Slackwood Chief Michael Oakley at 2:27 p.m.

Engine 21-1 signed on radio at 2:27 p.m., followed by Ladder 14 at 2:28 p.m., Engine 22 at 2:29 p.m., Telesquirt 22 at 2:29 p.m., Snorkel 21 at 2:30 p.m., and Ladder Tower 23 at 2:33 p.m.

Engine 22 was commanded by Assistant Chief Chris Pangaldi, driven by Ff. Charles Commini, and crewed by Ff. Martin Burch, Ff. Joseph Dlabik Jr., Ff. Ryan Dlabik and Ff. R.J. Laird.

Telesquirt 22 was commanded by Capt. Shaun Dlabik, driven by Capt. Michael Ratcliffe, and crewed by Lt. Edward Kitchen, Ff. Evan Kutzin, Ff. Michael Trimble and Ff. Adam Rivera.

Oakley, Hannon and Lawrenceville Chief Dave Burns all arrived to find smoke issuing from the first floor of the 2.5-story semidetached dwelling.

Engine 21-1 reached the scene at 2:30 p.m. and its crew led off with a 1.75-inch hoseline. Engine 22, ordered by Oakley to secure a water supply, laid 900 feet of 5-inch hose to a hydrant on Bakers Basin Road.

Ladder 14 and Snorkel 21 arrived about 2:33 p.m. and sent their manpower up to assist with suppression, search and ventilation efforts.

Telesquirt 22 arrived at 2:36 p.m., followed by Ladder Tower 23 at 2:37 p.m. Both units staged, as per Oakley's command.

At 2:37 p.m., interior crews reported that they had the bulk of the fire knocked down. (The fire, which was later found to have been caused by an electrical problem, was contained to the area of a living room closet.)

At 2:39 p.m., Oakley recalled Ladder Tower 23 and Telesquirt 22. (Telesquirt 22 was back in quarters by 2:46 p.m.)

Because the fire was knocked down so fast, the supply line laid by Engine 22 was never charged. After checking the exposure building for fire extension (and finding none), Engine 22's crew pickup its hose and was released from the scene. Engine 22 was back in quarters by 3:11 p.m.

Top of page