Back to News

NOVEMBER 29, 2005


58 Carter Road,
Lawrence Township

On Tuesday, November 29, 2005, volunteers from Lawrence Road Fire Co. responded to assist Lawrenceville Fire Co. at a structure fire on Carter Road.

It was 5:46 p.m. when Box 23-20 was transmitted by Mercer County Central Communications Center and all three Lawrence Township fire companies were dispatched to 58 Carter Road.

Also dispatched were Tanker 51 from Pennington Borough Fire Co., Tanker 52 from Hopewell Borough Fire Co., and Ambulance 129-1 from Lawrence First Aid Squad.

Response times were as follows: Lawrenceville Chief Dave Burns in Car 23, Lawrence Road Chief Wayne Hannon in Car 22, and Tanker 52 all at 5:47 p.m.; Engine 22 and Ambulance 129-1 at 5:49 p.m.; Snorkel 21 at 5:50 p.m.; Rescue 22 and Telesquirt 23 at 5:51 p.m.; Tanker 51 at 5:54 p.m. and Ladder Tower 23 at 5:55 p.m.

Engine 22 was commanded by Capt. Michael Byrd, with Ff. Joseph Dlabik Sr. driving, and a crew that included Ff. Ryan Dlabik, Ff. Martin Burch, Ff. Ed Budzinski, Ff. Andrew Fosina, and Ff. Charles Commini Jr.

Rescue 22 was commanded by Capt. Shaun Dlabik, driven by Deputy Chief John Fleming, and crewed by Lt. Edward Kitchen, Ff. R.J. Laird, Ff. Chris Dlabik, and Ff. Adam Rivera.

At 5:52 p.m. Burns arrived on location and learned from the homeowners that a fire had broken out in a plastic trash can outside the home and that fire had started to burn up the rear wall of the two-story dwelling.

Firefighters later learned that a housekeeper had cleaned out the home's fireplace earlier in the day and had put all the ashes into a cardboard box. She then placed the box into the plastic trash can outside.

Some of the ashes were apparently still smoldering and eventually set the trash can on fire.

The homeowners were home when one of their children spotted the fire. By then the trash can was ablaze so they called 911, then tried to fight the fire with a garden hose.

Telesquirt 23 and Engine 22 both reached the scene at 5:55 p.m., followed by Hannon at 5:56 p.m., Tanker 52 at 5:57 p.m., Rescue 22 and Ladder Tower 23 at 5:58 p.m., Snorkel 21 and Ambulance 129-1 at 5:59 p.m., and Tanker 51 at 6:04 p.m.

The fire, which had burned under the siding and into part of the rear wall, was quickly knocked down. Firefighters then spent some time checking for extension. There was a slight smoke condition inside the home, but no major fire extension was found.

Rescue 22's crew assisted with overhaul operations, while Engine 22's crew stood by in case water supply was needed.

At 8:22 p.m. Burns recalled all apparatus except Station 23 units. Engine 22 went available at 8:23 p.m. and was back in quarters by 6:39 p.m. Rescue 22, meanwhile, cleared the scene at 6:45 p.m. and was in quarters by 6:54 p.m.

Lawrenceville firefighters cleared the scene by 7 p.m.

Top of page