Back to News

DECEMBER 2, 2005


Bakers Basin Road, near Basin Road,
Lawrence Township

During the evening of Friday, December 2, 2005, Lawrence Road Fire Co. volunteers responded to an accident in which a car reportedly overturned.

The accident happened shortly before 8 p.m. when a young woman lost control of her car while traveling on Bakers Basin Road near Basin Road.

The woman's car veered off the road, flipped over and came to rest back on its wheels in a field.

When police received reports of the crash, it was unknown if anyone was trapped inside the wreckage. Thus, in addition to police and EMS personnel, a full rescue assignment was sent.

Mercer County Central Communications Center transmitted Box 21-20 at 8:02 p.m. and dispatched the Slackwood Fire Co. (Station 21), Rescue 22 from Lawrence Road Fire Co. and Rescue 23 from Lawrenceville Fire Co.

Rescue 22, which had just completed an extrication following an accident on Route 1, had been back in quarters for less than 10 minutes when the Bakers Basin Road crash was reported.

Rescue 22 immediately responded at 8:03 p.m. with Capt. Shaun Dlabik in command, Capt. Michael Ratcliffe driving, and a crew that included Ff. Brian Laue, Ff. Ryan Dlabik, Ff. Charles Commini Jr. and Ff. Steven Adzima.

Also responding at 8:03 p.m. was Rescue 23, Lawrenceville Chief Dave Burns in Car 23, Lawrence Road Chief Wayne Hannon in Car 22, and Slackwood Chief Michael Oakley in Car 21.

Rescue 21 signed on radio at 8:05 p.m.

Oakley reached the scene at 8:05 p.m., closedly followed at 8:06 p.m. by Hannon, Burns, Rescue 23 and Rescue 22.

Rescue 21 arrived at 8:08 p.m., followed by Telesquirt 23 (whose response time was not logged).

Rescue 22 was ordered into a staging position, while the crews from Rescue 23 and Rescue 21 approached the vehicle to assess the situation. They discovered the car's female driver to be injured but not trapped.

Firefighters quickly helped EMS personnel package the patient, who was then transported by Lawrence First Aid Squad to Capital Health System at Fuld hospital in Trenton.

At 8:11 p.m. Oakley recalled Rescue 22 and Telesquirt 23. Rescue 22 was back in quarters at Station 22 by 8:28 p.m.

The crews from Rescue 21 and Rescue 23, meanwhile, remained on the scene until the wrecked car was towed away.

All photos copyright (c) 2005 by Michael Ratcliffe.

Top of page