Back to News

JUNE 2, 2006


Route 206 near Princeton Avenue,
Lawrence Township

Lawrence Road Fire Co. volunteers responded to a two-vehicle accident that resulted in four people being injured during the afternoon of Friday, June 2, 2006.

It was about 2:35 p.m. when Ff. Joseph Dlabik Jr. came upon a head-on collision between a Nissan Sentra and a minivan in the 200 block of Lawrence Road, near Princeton Avenue.

Both vehicles had sustained significant front-end damage and the driverís side door of the Nissan was jammed shut.

Thus, Dlabik notified Mercer County Central Communications Center of the accident and requested the dispatch of a full rescue assignment.

It was 2:37 p.m. when all three Lawrence Township fire companies Ė Slackwood (Station 21), Lawrence Road (Station 22) and Lawrenceville (Station 23) Ė were dispatched, along with township police, Lawrence First Aid Squad and Capital Health System paramedics.

Deputy Chief Chris Pangaldi and Assistant Chief Shaun Dlabik responded in Car 22-1 at 2:38 p.m., followed by Rescue 23, Rescue 22 and Rescue 21 all at 2:39 p.m.

Rescue 22 was commanded by Capt. Michael Byrd and driven by Paid Driver Bryan Gibbons. The crew included Ff. Sean Ryan, Ff. Brian Laue, Ff. Steven Hodgdon, Ff. Evan Kutzin and Ff. John Fleming.

Car 22-1 arrived at 2:39 p.m., followed seconds later by Slackwood Chief Mike Oakley.

Rescue 22 arrived on location at 2:41 p.m., followed by Rescue 21 at 2:43 p.m. and then Rescue 23 at 2:44 p.m.

Firefighters prepared to remove the driverís door of the Nissan. The car was stabilized with cribbing, the battery was secured and the driver was covered with a sheet as a precaution.

A 1.75-inch hoseline was stretched from Rescue 22 and manned by Fleming.

The batter of the minivan was also disconnected.

Extrication efforts proved to be unnecessary, however, as EMS personnel and firefighters were able to free the driverís door and open it enough for the driver to be removed.

A total of four patients were transported by EMS personnel to the Capital Health System at Fuld hospital in Trenton for treatment of minor injuries.

Firefighters applied speedie dry to absorb oil and antifreeze spilled onto the roadway from the wrecked vehicles.

Rescue 23 was recalled at 2:56 p.m. Rescue 22 and Rescue 21 remained on scene until the two vehicles were removed by tow trucks.

Rescue 22 cleared the scene at 3:04 p.m. and was back in quarters by 3:08 p.m.

All photos copyright (c) 2006 by Michael Ratcliffe.

Top of page