Back to News

JUNE 10, 2006


Route 1 at Franklin Corner Road,
Lawrence Township

While returning to quarters from the scene of a working house fire, a crew of Lawrence Road Fire Co. volunteers came upon the scene of a motor vehicle collision and stopped to help the injured accident victims during the evening of Saturday, June 10, 2006.

Telesquirt 22 was returning from the fire at 271 Fountayne Lane when they came upon the two-vehicle accident at the intersection of Route 1 and Franklin Corner Road.

Telesquirt 22 was commanded by Capt. Michael Ratcliffe. Ff. Charles Commini Sr. drove and the crew was Ff. Charles Commini Jr., Ff. Brian Laue, and Junior Ff. Peter Proctor.

Just as Telesquirt 22 was pulling up on the accident, Lawrenceville Fire Co. was getting dispatched to the scene for a fuel spill from one of the vehicles at 7:34 p.m.

As Telesquirt 22ís crew was assessing the situation, Lawrenceville Chief Dave Burns arrived on scene at 7:38 p.m., followed a few minutes later by Rescue 23.

While Charles Commini Sr. held manual stabilization on the neck of the driver of one of the vehicles (a car sitting in the right southbound lane of Route 1). He was later relieved by EMS personnel, who worked together with Rescue 23ís crew to remove the patient from the wreckage.

Rescue 23ís crew also attended to the small leak from the car by spreading speedie dry.

The remainder of Rescue 22ís crew, meanwhile, was ordered by Chief 23 to check on the other vehicle, a Mercury Monterey minivan sitting in the northbound shoulder of Route 1.

Firefighters found the driver of the minivan to be uninjured, but the passenger (a 35-year-old woman) was lying flat on the ground complaining of neck and back pain.

Ratcliffe advised Burns of the possible need for an ALS response. Laue held stabilization of the womanís neck, while Charles Commini Jr. secured the battery of the minivan.

EMS personnel then took over care of the woman.

Both patients were then transported by EMS (Squads 129 and 145) to the hospital.

Telesquirt 22 was released from the scene at 8:02 p.m. and was back at Station 22 by 8:12 p.m. Rescue 23 cleared the scene at 8:12 p.m. after the wrecked vehicles were towed away.

All photos copyright (c) 2006 by Michael Ratcliffe.

Top of page