Back to News

JUNE 30, 2006


Lawrence Road Fire Co. (Station 22),
1252 Lawrence Road, Lawrence Township

From about 3 p.m. on Friday, June 30, 2006, until about noon on Saturday, July 1, 2006, Tanker 5608 and two volunteer firefighters from Cassville Fire Co. of Jackson Township, Ocean County, stood by at the Lawrence Road Fire Co. firehouse.

The 8,500-gallon tanker was relocated to Station 22 at the request of Lawrence Township emergency management officials and Mercer County Central Communications Center because of a water crisis that was occurring at the time.

The water crisis was brought about by severe flooding that occurred along the Delaware River in Trenton on Thursday, June 29, 2006.

Because of the flooding, the Trenton Water Filtration Plant was forced to shut down its operations, raising concerns about possible water pressure problems with fire hydrants in some of the outlying areas of the water utility company’s service areas.

Tanker 5608, which is nicknamed “Rolling River,” was positioned at Station 22 to respond for water supply to any possible structure fires in the Lawrence Township area.

Several additional tankers stood by at other firehouses in the area:

A tanker from Hope Fire Co. of Allentown, Monmouth County, was relocated to West Trenton’s firehouse (Station 33) in Ewing Township; a tanker from Bayville Fire Co. of Berkeley Township, Ocean County, was relocated to the Prospect Heights firehouse (Station 31) in Ewing Township; a tanker from Chesterfield Township, Burlington County, was relocated to the Rusling Hose firehouse (Station 13) in Hamilton Township; and another tanker from Ocean County was relocated to the Colonial firehouse (Station 18) in Hamilton Township.

Lawrence Road Ff. Matt Farletta volunteered to serve as a pilot for Tanker 5608’s crew.

Tanker 5608 was positioned in Station 22’s parking lot, next to the engine room, so that it could respond with Station 22 apparatus in the event of an emergency call. Fire line tape and other barricades were used to section off the area of the parking lot for the tanker.

Farletta and the two Cassville firefighters slept in the firehouse overnight.

As it turned out, the night passed by quietly and no alarms were received. With water pressure improving on Saturday morning, the tanker and its crew were sent home.

Lawrence Road Fire Co. would like to thank Cassville Fire Co. and its members for their mutual aid assistance in our time of need.

All photos copyright (c) 2006 by Michael Ratcliffe.

Top of page