Back to News

SEPTEMBER 12, 2006


1400 East State Street,
Hamilton Township

A crew of Lawrence Road Fire Co. volunteers responded with Rescue 22 mutual aid into Hamilton Township to serve as the rapid intervention team at a structure fire in a factory at 1400 East State Street during the evening of Tuesday, September 12, 2006.

It was 8:04 p.m. when Mercer County Central Communications Center transmitted Box 14-10 after receiving a third-party call from Staten Island, N.Y., reporting a fire in the East State Street building.
Dispatched at that time were the Hamilton (Station 14-1) and Enterprise (Station 14-2) fire companies, along with Lawrence Road’s Rescue 22 as the RIT.

Engine 14-1 responded at 8:06 p.m., followed by Rescue 22 at 8:07 p.m., Engine 14-2 at 8:08 p.m., TAC 14 at 8:09 p.m., and Engine 14-4 at 8:10 p.m.

Rescue 22 was commanded by Assistant Chief Shaun Dlabik and driven by Ff. Joseph Dlabik Sr., with Ff. Evan Kutzin, Ff. R.J. Laird, Ff. Charles Commini Jr., and Ff. Joseph Dlabik Jr. aboard as the crew. Chief Wayne Hannon and Deputy Chief Chris Pangaldi also responded in Car 22 and Car 22-1, respectively, but their response times were not logged.

At 8:10 p.m. Hamilton Township Fire District 4 Fire Marshal Charles Prince arrived and reported he had smoke inside the building, which measured about 400 feet by 200 feet in size.

Based on that report, Ladder 13 from Rusling Hose Co. was special-called by the incident commander as a precaution. Dispatched at 8:10 p.m., Ladder 13 responded at 8:11 p.m.

Arrival times were as follows: Engine 14-1 at 8:09 p.m.; TAC 14 at 8:10 p.m.; Engine 14-2 at 8:11 p.m.; Rescue 22 at 8:13 p.m.; Engine 14-4 at 8:14 p.m.; and Ladder 13 at 8:16 p.m.

While Rescue 22’s crew stood by as the RIT, Hamilton Township firefighters searched the factory and used a thermal imaging camera to pinpoint the source of the smoke as a fire burning in the ceiling above some machinery.

A hoseline from Engine 14-1 was brought into the building, while Engine 14-2 prepared to lay a supply line. (Eventually, a supply line was laid out to a hydrant on East State Street.) Upon its arrival, Ladder 13’s aerial was raised to allow crews to check the building’s roof.

At 8:46 p.m., with it appearing that the fire was out, the incident commander dissolved the RIT and released Rescue 22. Rescue 22 was back in quarters by 8:58 p.m.

Around 9:15 p.m., during overhaul, District 4 firefighters realized that the fire had flared back up. As a result, Ladder 13 was called back to the scene, along with Special Services 15 from DeCou Hose Co. as the rapid intervention team, as firefighters doused the stubborn blaze.

(DeCou’s Special Services 15 is the first-due RIT on Box 14-10. Rescue 22 was sent as second-due RIT on the initial dispatch because Special Services 15 was out of service at the time for a drill at the county fire academy. By the time the flare-up occurred, Special Services 15 had gone available from the training ground and was thus sent to the fire to assume RIT duties.)

Top of page