February 16, 1943
The Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association responded mutual aid to Slackwood Fire Company’s district to help battle a bus fire on Tuesday, February 16, 1943. The Trenton Evening Times published the following brief account on the front page of that night’s editions: “A New York to Philadelphia Greyhound bus caught fire on the Brunswick Pike, just north of Colonial Lakelands, at 8:15 a.m. today and was destroyed. Eleven passengers and the driver were able to leave the vehicle with their baggage before the flames made headway. Patrolman George Bond of Lawrence Township police flashed an alarm to Radio Dispatcher Walter Welsh at Trenton police headquarters and the Slackwood and Lawrence Road fire companies were dispatched. Meanwhile, some of the bus passengers were taken to a nearby diner, while the others went to the home of Lawrence Police Chief Joseph P. Stonicker, in front of whose home the incident occurred. The bus driver notified his office in Philadelphia and another bus was sent to Trenton to continue the run.”

April 6, 1943
The oldest fire company incident reports that still exist are from 1943. Incident reports from earlier years have all been lost or destroyed. In many cases, the reports that have survived are incomplete and list very few details. One report that is significantly more complete than most is for a house fire that occurred on Eggerts Crossing Road on Tuesday, April 6, 1943. The time listed is 6:05, but it is not marked whether it is morning or afternoon. The report states that the fire building was a one-story frame bungalow and that the blaze originated in an oil stove. The report shows that the fire spread through the entire residence, completely destroying the structure, which had an estimated value of$300. The report states that “Lawrenceville and Slackwood were called because of lack of water,” and Lawrence Road firefighters remained on the scene for one hour and 45 minutes. Unfortunately, no newspapers articles about this fire have so far been found.

April 12, 1943
During the meeting held on Monday, April 12, 1943, Chief Anthony Pilla reported on the Eggerts Crossing Road house fire. He also reported on seven grass fires, one woods fire, a fire at the Johnson Avenue dump (on March 28, 1943), and a garage fire on Smithfield Avenue (on April 10, 1943). Other business attended to during the meeting included: “A letter was read from the township committee requesting the names of all members who had entered the service. Thomas Hawthorne drew up the list. The delegates to the Mercer County Firemen’s Association reported that all civilian defense workers must be 16 years of age or older before they are eligible for compensation if injured while performing duty. William Marsh proposed that we as a company donate blood to the Red Cross blood bank. A committee was appointed to get details.”

May 10, 1943
The sad news that Lawrence Road firefighter Stephen R. Mendrey Jr. had been killed in the line of duty while serving with the U.S. armed forces in World War II was announced during the meeting held on Monday, May 10, 1943. Also during the meeting “Chief Anthony Pilla reported on three field fires. The delegates to the Mercer County Firemen’s Association reported that Memorial Day services have been cancelled because of World War II. William Marsh was appointed a committee of one to inquire into the purchase of an Honor Roll. The Blood Bank committee reported progress. Thomas Hawthorne is the new Captain of Fire Police. Leo Balaam resigned as chairman of the Board of Trustees and turned in the strong box and papers because heis entering the armed forces.”

June 14, 1943
During the meeting held on Monday, June 14, 1943, “Chief Anthony Pilla reported no fires. He reported all fire hydrants were flushed and greased. The Sick committee reported that flowers were sent to Stephen Mendrey’s funeral. Pall bearers were from the company and a fire truck was used for the flowers. Thomas Hawthorne moved that the chairman of the Honor Roll committee be empowered to purchase an Honor Roll...”

July 4, 1943
On Sunday, July 4, 1943, the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association unveiled an Honor Roll of members serving the nation in World War II. The Trenton Sunday Times Advertiser published the following preview of the event in that day’s editions: “An honor roll bearing the names of 38 members of the Lawrence Road Volunteer Fire Association serving in the armed forced will be unveiled today at 4 p.m. at the company’s headquarters on the Lawrence Road. Mercer County Common Pleas Judge Frank S. Katzenbach will deliver the principal address. Joseph Crans, vice president of the company, will preside. Short talks will be given by Chief Anthony Pilla; G.S. Boetsma, representing the township committee; Capt. Robert Wilson of the 717th Military Police Battalion; Foster Jemison and Russell Smith, past presidents of the company; Lt. D.R. Gurnery, also of the 717th Military Police Battalion; and Claude Dilts, representing Selective Service Board 2. The Rev. Howard R. Peters will deliver the opening prayer and Rev. John Ketter will pronounce the benediction. The honor roll has been erected in front of the firehouse. The Lawrence Road Fire Co. has one of the largest contingents among fire companies in Mercer County in the armed forces.”

The list of names on the honor roll, in order of their appearance, read: Leo Balaam, Rocco Calderone, Mark Cermele, L. Bruce Cranston, Robert W. Davis, James C. Dorety, Mark J. Falcone, Donald Gallimore, Robert W. Goulding, Earl Harris, Thaddeus Kicinski, Robert J. Lownie, Stephen R. Mendrey Jr., Richard G. Lauderback, Gilbert W. Mervine, Anthony Pasquita, Michael Pilla, Nickolas Pilla, Paul E. Radlinsky, Christine Rossi, Norman Rossi, Albert E. Schoeller Jr., Walter A. Schoeller, Robert Smith, Carl F. Sommers, Henry Dantzig, William Stienmetz, Louis Sylvester, Peter Simonelli, Russell Tettemer, Edmund Tromphone, Melvin P. Walker, Anthony DeAntonia, George Welde, Richard A. Walter, William H. Walter Jr., Lyman H. Burbank, and Joseph G. Denny.

July 12, 1943
Highlights from the minutes of the company meeting held on Monday, July 12, 1943, include: “William Marsh reported on the dedication of the Honor Roll. The roll was dedicated on July 4, 1943. Judge Frank Katzenbach was the principal speaker. Other speakers were Foster Jemison, Claude Dilts, and Capt. Robert Wilson. Miss Mendrey, sister of Stephen Mendrey, unveiled the Honor Roll. The Hamilton Square Band provided the music. Upon motion of Joseph Pilla, a vote of thanks was awarded chairman William Marsh and his committee. It was moved that $15 be donated to the Hamilton Square Band for its services on July 4. The secretary was ordered to send letters to Mr. Ribsam, Capt. Robert Wilson and John Biehl for helping to make our dedication a success. Chief Anthony Pilla reported no fires. He reported that batteries were replaced in the engines, and 12 coats and 12 brooms were purchased. Herbert Jaeger donated 12 hats for dress affairs. Mr. Pilla suggested that a letter be sent to Freeholder Bray asking for stone for surfacing our new parking lot.”

September 1943
During the September 1943 meeting, which is undated in the minutes, “Chief Anthony Pilla reported one fire - a Slackwood call. Anthony Pilla reported that George Welde is in the hospital as a result of injuries received in the line of duty in the U.S. Army. It was moved that the Sick committee be notified of all boys injured in the service and the committee be authorized to send mementos to all who are wounded. Thomas Hawthorne was appointed the chairman of the committee to send gifts to the boys in the service for Christmas. President James Hindley requested some top soil for filling our side lot from the township committee. The secretary was ordered to write a letter to Pilla’s garage ordering a six dozen flash light batteries.”

October 10, 1943
According to the minutes of the next meeting held on Monday, October 10, 1943, Chief Anthony Pilla reported on a fire in which a structure “burned to the foundation.” The chief also reported about a field fire on September 29, 1943, at the “airport” (Editor’s Note: It is unclear what airport this refers to, however according to the incident report it was located on Brunswick Pike) and a false alarm at the Panelyte Corp.

November 5, 1943
On Friday, November 5, 1943, the
Trenton Evening Times published the following news brief: “A report on distribution of firefighting equipment, allocated by the Federal Office of Civilian Defense to fire companies in Lawrence Township, was made Wednesday evening to the township committee. Road Supervisor John J. Combs, serving as local property officer for civilian defense, told the committeemen of a recent meeting with the chiefs of the three companies at which distribution was made. Committeeman Garrett Boetsma, chairman of the police and fire reserve committee, and Col. Arthur Poillon, chairman of the township defense council, were present. Chief James R. Smith of the Slackwood Fire Co. was advised his organization was receiving a trailer pump unit with necessary equipment. Chief Anthony Pilla of the Lawrence Road Fire Co. was allocated gas masks, hose, extinguishers, suits and helmets. Chief Oscar Eggert of the Lawrenceville Fire Co. was given a skid pump unit and necessary equipment for his organization. All the apparatus and equipment remains the property of the government.”

November 8, 1943
Highlights from the minutes of the meeting held on November 8, 1943, include: “Chief Anthony Pilla reported on one fire. The chief reported 300 feet of 2.5-inch hose, 150 feet of 1.5-inch hose, three gas masks, three coats, and three helmets have been issued for emergency use. The chief reported the hose was tested at 160 pounds of pressure. A combination drill was held with Slackwood and Ewing. The Mercer Count Firemen’s Association meeting was held at Lawrence Road. Many comments were made about the appearance of the house. The Ladies Auxiliary served refreshments. W.H. Pierson requested donations for the Boonton home. The Chance committee reported an excellent month. The trustees reported the steps and floor remain to be refinished. Twenty-five tons of stone are to be furnished by the county freeholders for our parking lot. The roof has been repaired by Harold Daisley. A letter of thanks was ordered sent out.”

December 13, 1943
During the meeting held on Monday, December 13, 1943, “Chief Anthony Pilla reported on four fires. The securing and operating of an ambulance in the township was discussed but no action was taken. The trustees report the room has been renovated and the members are requested to keep it in shape. The Sick committee reported flowers were sent to William Baker. Open house will be held New Year’s Day. Motion made the recording secretary, financial secretary and treasurer received their usual $6 salary for services during 1943. Motion made that Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association contribute $5 to the Lawrence Road Red Cross for Christmas bags for the Fort Dix hospital, and to the Ladies Aid of the Lawrence Road Presbyterian Church for the dance they are sponsoring for the members of the 717th Military Police Battalion stationed at the 112th Field Artillery Armory. A resolution from the Board of Chosen Freeholders granting stone for public parking lots was read, along with a letter from Freeholder Stewart O’Donnell notifying us of the resolution. The secretary was ordered to write letters of acknowledgement to Freeholders Bray and O’Donnell. Retiring President James Hindley thanked the members and officers for their cooperation throughout the year and turned the chair over to President-elect Joseph Crans. A rising vote of appreciation was tendered to James Hindley.”


January 8, 1944
An incident report dated for Saturday, January 8, 1944, shows that the members of the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association responded to a chimney fire in the Smires residence, a two-story frame dwelling at the corner of Darrah Lane and Princeton Pike. The fire was contained to the chimney for about $200 worth of damages and the company was at the scene for about one hour, according to the fire. The alarm time is listed as 12:15, but it is not noted if that was morning or afternoon.

February 14, 1944
During the meeting held on Monday, February 14, 1944, details of three fires were reported. According to existing incident reports, these were an attic fire, out on arrival, at 66 Lawn Park Avenue on January 15, 1944; a car fire on Lawrence Road on January 25, 1944; and a grass fire on Lawrence Road on February 9, 1944. Other business recorded in the minutes of the meeting include: “It was decided to waive the initiation fee and dues of Junior Firemen between the ages of 16 and 18 years. The secretary was order to inquire whether these Junior Firemen would be covered by the blanket policy. The Sick committee reported that Chief Anthony Pilla was visited in the hospital and William Baker is recuperating at home. The Mercer County Firemen’s Association delegates reported that Rusling Hose is starting a rescue squad.”

February 25, 1944
On Friday, February 25, 1944, at about 9 p.m. the members of the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association were called to the scene of a fire in a lumber yard on Princeton Avenue, according to the company’s report on the incident. Lawrence Road firefighters were on the job for 90 minutes. Unfortunately, little other information about the blaze is known.

March 4, 1944
A raging fire destroyed the clubhouse of the Greenacres County Club on Saturday, March 4, 1944. A dramatic photograph of the building in flames accompanied the following story on the front page of the Trenton Sunday Times Advertiser on March 5, 1944:

“A spectacular blaze, fanned by high winds, roared through the clubhouse of the Greenacres Country Club on the Lawrenceville Road yesterday afternoon for more than two hours, demolishing the two-story structure. Damage was estimated by club officials at well over $100,000. Shortly before noon, Harry Basch, resident manager of the club, his son, David, and the greenskeeper, Andrew Chuma, discovered the fire. Chuma immediately notified the Lawrence Road Fire Co. At about the same time, Lawrence Township Radio Patrolman John Ball, who was cruising on the Lawrenceville Road, noted the flames and radioed a report to Trenton Radio Dispatcher Frank Parr. Parr relayed the alarm to Lawrence Township police and all nearby fire companies.

“Lack of water at the scene defied efforts of four fire companies to control the blazing clubhouse. Lawrenceville, Lawrence Road, Slackwood, and Pennington Road fire companies sped up and down the highway filling the booster tanks on their trucks and then pouring the contents on the building to no avail. About two hours after the first alarm, the building was a smoldering ruin.

“Basch and Chuma worked feverishly during the early stages of the blaze to remove furniture and other valuable belongings from the first floor of the clubhouse but over $8,000 in liquors, in addition to other valuables stored in the basement and second floor of the building were lost. Basch said he thought that the fire might have originated in the coal-burning furnace or might have been due to a defect in the wiring. Efforts will be made later by police and fire officials of Lawrenceville to determine the exact cause. Firemen from all companies were under the direction of Fire Chief Oscar Eggert of Lawrenceville, in whose district the blaze occurred. Police were directed by Police Chief Joseph Stonicker, assisted by Patrolmen John Ball and Joseph Olessi.”

According to the company’s incident report on the Greenacres blaze, Lawrence Road firefighters laid 1,500 feet of 2.5-inch hose and 100 feet of 1.5-inch hose and utilized two ladders. They remained in service for eight hours and pumped at least 2,400 gallons of water. A note on the incident report states: “Total loss, except for what was salvaged before the fire got to it.” Apparently, members of the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association were called back to the scene later that evening, as a separate incident report indicates they were requested to salvage the “old fire.”

March 13, 1944
During the meeting on Monday, March 13, 1944, 2nd Assistant Chief Thomas Ettinger gave the chief’s report, detailing three field fires, one garage fire, and four fires out of district (including the lumber yard and Greenacres fires). He also reported on “a drill at the Navy receiving station and said members must respect the red lights in front of the firehouse. Harold Edwards moved that a letter of thanks and $10 be sent to the American Red Cross in appreciation of the service rendered by their mobile canteen at the Greenacres fire. Motion passed. The secretary was also ordered to send letters of appreciation to Mrs. Joseph Pilla and Miss Josephine Pilla for the coffee and doughnuts they served to the men at the Greenacres fire. A letter from Mrs. Lucille M. Rink of the American Red Cross was read. Mrs. Rink thanked the company for its donation to the Christmas bag fund and she offered the facilities of the organization to our company at any time. The following amendment to the constitution was offered by Harold Edwards: `Be it resolved that any male citizen of legal age or any male citizen of 16 years of age upon receipt of written consent of his parents or guardian may become a member of this association upon application to the recording secretary with the approval of two members of this association accompanied by an initiation fee of $5, and upon receiving approval of the association by ballot; two or more objectors to the applicant shall prevent his election to membership.’ “

April 10, 1944
Four field fires (on Eggerts Crossing Road on March 15, 1944; on Rosedale Road on March 15, 1944; at Eldridge Avenue and Johnson Avenue on March 22, 1944; and on Lawrence Road near Greenacres on March 25, 1944) were reported during the next company meeting, held on Monday, April 10, 1944. Other business recorded in the minutes of the meeting include: “All additional names for the Honor Roll are to be handed to William Marsh. Motion passed that our Red Cross donation be increased to $50 so there will be at least $1 per member in the armed forces. Placement of the captured Nazi war flag sent by Bud Lauderback was referred to the Board of Trustees. The amendment to the constitution as read at the March meeting was passed. James Balaam moved that the initiation fee of new members be absorbed by the company but that they pay their regular dues.”

May 8, 1944
Eight field fires, including four out of district, and one car fire on Lawrence Road were reported during the next meeting held on Monday, May 8, 1944. It was also reported during the meeting that “a drill was held at Eldridge Park School. The building was evacuated in 65 seconds. All fire extinguishers were checked and refilled. Under good and welfare, it was reemphasized that the chief and House committee have full authority over the conduct of members while in the meeting house or at drills. The secretary was ordered to write a letter of thanks to Stephen P. Wenczel for the chinaware donated by him to the firehouse.”
July-August 1944

Incident reports show that the members of the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association battled four dump fires in a month’s time. The first blaze on Johnson Avenue occurred at 7:45 p.m. on Sunday, July 30, 1944. The company responded with both engines, flowed at least 1,050 gallons of water and remained on the scene 45 minutes. At about 10 p.m. that same night, July 30, 1944, the company was called back to the dump. Both engines again responded, 550 feet of 2.5-inch hose was used and the men were at work for more than two hours. The following day, Monday, July 31, 1944, Lawrence Road firefighters were again summoned to the dump at 3 p.m. They laid 1,000 feet of 2.5-inch hose and were on the job for three hours. Another dump blaze was reported at 10 a.m. on Friday, August 4, 1944. Only 500 feet of 2.5-inch hose was used but Lawrence Road firefighters remained on scene for eight hours.

August 14, 1944
Sad news opened the company meeting held on Monday, August 14, 1944 - “The regular roll of business was suspended while Chaplain Ames offered a prayer in memory of Lt. Earl Harris, who was killed in Italy in active combat with the U.S. Air Force. Motion made that letters of condolence be sent to the families of members who pass away while in foreign service with the military forces of our country.”

August 25, 1944
At 1 a.m. on Friday, August 25, 1944, a barn fire was reported on Bunker Hill Road. According to the incident report, 22 members of the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association responded with both engines and worked for nearly three hours. Unfortunately, little else is known about the blaze. Another incident report, however, shows that one engine was sent back later that same day to the scene to extinguish a rekindle of the ruins.

October 9, 1944
Highlights from the minutes of the company meeting held on Monday, October 9, 1944, include: “Chief Anthony Pilla reported no fires. He also stated that the old siren had been sold for $30. The permits for burning fields are now available. William Marsh of the Honor Roll committee stated that all names are now on the board and a gold star has been added to Lt. Earl Harris’ name.”

October 15, 1944
Members of the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association helped the Lawrenceville Fire Co. battle a fire in a two-story house on Gordon Avenue on Sunday, October 15, 1944. According to the incident report, Lawrence Road firefighters responded with both engines, laid 800 feet of 2.5-inch hose and pumped at least 2,250 gallons. Unfortunately, no other information on the fire is available.

December 10, 1944
On Sunday, December 10, 1944, the Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association was called to Eldridge Avenue for a garage fire. According to the incident report, 150 feet of 2.5-inch hose and 200 feet of 1.5-inch hose were used and the company was on the scene for 90 minutes. Two cars were destroyed along with the garage.

December 11, 1944
During the meeting held on Monday, December 11, 1944, Chief Anthony Pilla reported on two grass fires and the blaze in the Eldridge Avenue garage. “The chief reported the Sanford has been repaired and is now back in service. Mr. Trautwein spoke in reference to the condition of the Sanford and will be here on Sunday to demonstrate the pump. Leonard Hilditch offered the idea that we solicit funds from the neighborhood to pay for the repairs to the Sanford. Mr. Hilditch, after some discussion, offered this motion: ‘A delegation of 10 men be appointed by the president at the January meeting to make a solicitation of the community to raise funds to pay for the repairs to the Sanford.’ Motion passed. Vincent Terranova moved that the treasurer, recording secretary and financial secretary be paid $6 each. The condition of the roof was again called to the attention of the trustees. Albert Schoeller, home on leave, spoke to the group and complimented us on the way we are carrying on. Officers for 1945 were elected. It was voted to hold open house on New Year’s Day. A vote of thanks was awarded to Joseph Crans for his work as president in 1944.”


January 8, 1945
During the first meeting of 1945, held on Monday, January 8, “Chief Anthony Pilla reported there were no fires last month. The chief cautioned anyone who drives the Sanford to beware of the booster brakes. They will stop on a dime if necessary. The chief reported Signal 22 took in approximately $700 and bought a truck for $450. They are now incorporated. After completing renovations, they will exhibit the truck at various fire company meetings. They are on call at any time they are needed. The Ladies Auxiliary turned over $200 to go toward the Sanford repairs, and a $25 donation from Greenacres Country Club was received. The Greenacres donation was because of our aid at their fire last year. Motion was made the secretary write a letter of thanks to the ladies Auxiliary and to Greenacres. Chief Anthony Pilla moved we table the motion to solicit funds from the engine repairs as we now have the money to pay the bills. Under new business, Leonard Hilditch said he thought the Eldridge School fire drill was last held a year ago. Chief Anthony Pilla corrected that it was last in October and stated that the weather was now too bad to hold any drills. Only two a year are necessary. He mentioned that when the school extinguishers are refilled, he shows the older school boys the proper method of discharging them.”

February 12, 1945
During the meeting held on Monday, February 12, 1945, Chief Anthony Pilla reported on two chimney fires - one at the Danzig residence at 51 Eldridge Avenue (on February 1, 1945), the other on Eggerts Crossing Road (on February 7, 1945). During the first blaze, the chief reported, two firefighters “walked into a young maiden’s bedroom looking for a fire to extinguish.” During the second blaze, “Lawrenceville was called, but not needed.” Other business recorded in the minutes includes: “The secretary was notified to send a letter of condolence to the parents of William Lotta. He was killed in action December 12, 1944. Chief Pilla reported the Sanford is being driven to break in the engine. The chiefs, assistant chiefs and fire police of the entire township had a meeting to discuss the duties of fire police and cooperation between companies for assistance at fires. Chief of Police Joseph Stonicker and Fire Marshal David Newell attended the meeting. If any trucks carrying explosives ever get on fire badly clear the neighborhood for 2,000 feet in all directions. The trustees reported Harold Daisley was contacted for roof repairs.”

March 12, 1945
Highlights from the minutes of the company meeting held on Monday, March 12, 1945, include: “Chief Anthony Pilla reported one field fire tonight. Chief Anthony Pilla suggested an investigation be made into a new heating system. The present system was declared inadequate and insufficient. William Baker made the motion that the trustees get an estimate for a new system. Thomas Ettinger donated the lumber and Joseph Pilla donated the labor for the work bench in the boiler room. It was moved we donate $50 to the Red Cross in support of our boys in the service. The secretary was directed to write to the insurance company asking about coverage of one our members helping another company at his own initiative.”

April 9, 1945
Details of several grass fires were given during the meeting held on Monday, April 9, 1945. Other items of interest recorded in the minutes of that meeting include: “Chief reported the township scraper leveled the ground on the side of our building. The chief asked for a large attendance at the next drill in order to police the grounds. Pennington Road offered their ambulance services to us at any time.”

May 14, 1945
A grass fire on Eldridge Avenue at 11 p.m. on April 9, 1945, and a fire in a chicken house on Eggerts Crossing Road about 12:30 p.m. on April 14, 1945, were reported during the company meeting held on Monday, May 14, 1945. Also during the meeting, “the chief asked that we apply for the balance of our township appropriation. He said the oil pump on the Diamond T was fixed and Mrs. Reed has a tower she will give us for the siren. Dr. Carroll will be present on May 22 to give physical exams. The following amendment was proposed and read for the first time: ‘Any member of the L.V.F.A. who for a period of 20 years has faithfully served in the activities of the company may be placed on the Honorary Life membership list of this company upon recommendation of the Advisory Board and approved by the members of the company at a regular meeting. This listing to entitle the members to all rights and privileges, and exempt such members from payment of dues.’ The trustees reported progress on the heating unit.”

June 11, 1945
During the meeting held on Monday, June 11, 1945, “Chief Anthony Pilla reported one fire in Ewing. The chief reported that the tower is ready to be erected at the rear of the firehouse. The Honorary Life Membership amendment to the constitution was adopted. A recess was extended for George Murphy of the Pennington Road Fire Co. to speak. He said they are trying to build a good county fire police organization. He extended an invitation to come to the fire police meeting on July 25. He is working on getting a refreshment machine to serve food at fires. Joseph Crans stated the American Legion is trying to open a post in Lawrence Township and would like to know if they can use the firehouse as a temporary meeting place. A motion was made and passed that we allow the American Legion post to use the building until they find a regular place of their own, so long as their meetings do not conflict with our use of the hall.”

August 13, 1945
Highlights from the minutes of the company meeting held on Monday, August 13, 1945, “Chief Anthony Pilla reported no fires. The siren is now completed on the new tower. Alfred Staller donated wire for the tower. The secretary was directed to write a letter of condolence to Alfred Staller on the loss of his son William. Estimates from J.B. Hunt and Security Fire Equipment were received on 300 feet of 2.5-inch hose and a 600-watt generator floodlight system. Both offered hose at $1.10 per foot. The Decorating committee has not as of yet been able to get a painter to put the new names on the Honor Roll.”

September 10, 1945
Details of a chimney fire at the Lownie residence at 96 Merline Avenue on August 26, 1945, and a field fire at the Murray property on Millerick Avenue on September 4, 1945, were reported during the company meeting held on Monday, September 10, 1945. In his account of the chimney blaze, Chief Anthony Pilla said “we got there just in time to save a lot of trouble.” Also during the meeting, the chief reported that the company “cleaned out the Diaond T’s pump and the Eldridge Park standpipe.”

November 22, 1945
On Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 22, 1945, members of Lawrence Volunteer Fire Association battled a blaze in Eggerts Crossing. According to the incident report, a man died in the fire. Unfortunately, no other details have been found about the fire.