In a report given during the meeting held on Monday, January 9, 1961, Chief Linton Reed Jr. reported there was a total of 46 fire alarms, seven silent alarms and 18 drills during 1960. Those includes 16 house fires, 15 field fires, two auto fires, two garage fires, two barn fires, one false alarm, and eight miscellaneous calls. The company spent 56 hours in service and traveled 155.5 miles during 1960. The members responded 756 times for a total of 42,356 man hours. During the year, the company used 3,200 feet of 2.5-inch hose, 4,000 feet of 1.5-inch hose, and 3,300 feet of booster line, according to the chief’s report.

March 17, 1960
On Thursday, March 17, 1960, the Lawrence Road Fire Co. was apparently called mutual aid to Hamilton Township to help battle a structure fire in the middle of a winter storm. The Trenton Evening Times published the following account of the blaze in that night’s newspaper:

“A spectacular three-alarm fire caused by an explosion early this morning swept a large building of the Atlantic Prestressed Concrete Co. off Whitehead Road. Nine fire companies from Hamilton and Lawrence townships and the city battled the roaring flames in sleet, rain and snow. A night watchman at the plant was making his rounds at 4:45 a.m. when he heard an explosion from a small adjoining building which contains an employees’ locker room and lunch room. Authorities said there was a space heater with a 270-gallon fuel tank in this structure. The watchman telephoned Hamilton Township police headquarters and the Hamilton and Enterprise volunteer fire companies were notified.

“When firemen arrived at the plant, flames visible for more than a mile were shooting from the roof of the large shed-type structure. Chief Elias Steinert of the Enterprise Fire Co., who was in charge of all firemen at the scene, immediately sounded a second alarm, bringing four more companies. Ten minutes later he issued a third alarm and three additional companies responded. At the scene besides Hamilton and Enterprise were the Rusling, Mercerville, DeCou, and Colonial fire companies of Hamilton, the Slackwood and Lawrence Road fire companies of Lawrence, and Trenton’s Ladder Co. 3. The flames spread through wooden timbers supporting the roof. Chief Steinert said it was a stubborn, difficult fire as the timbers were covered by sheet metal and firemen had to pry the metal away to get at the blaze. Eventually, firemen used a company crane to knock out the front part of the building in order to play hoses on the flames.

“Despite the spectacular nature of the fire, there was comparatively little damage to the production area of the building. In fact, the general manager of production for the firm said work would be resumed tomorrow. The company manufacturers prefabricated concrete beams, girders, and channels for bridges, stadiums, etc. The building, which is valued at $200,000, was formerly the Pennsylvania Railroad machine shop. Now owned by Brand and Stewart, it is leased to the Atlantic Prestressed Concrete Co. It is one of four buildings occupied by the company on the site. There was no estimate of the total damage. The locker and lunch rooms were a total loss, and some employees lost clothing and tools in the lockers. After the third alarm was sounded, Engine Co. 6 of Trenton moved into the Hamilton firehouse and a Nottingham Fire Co. engine moved into the Enterprise building to cover in the event of another fire.”

March 24, 1960
On Thursday, March 24, 1960, the following letter was received from the Atlantic Prestressed Concrete Co.: “We wish to express our appreciation to the individual firemen who so successfully quelled the recent fire in our plant. The wind and severe cold temperatures on the night of the fire presented the most formidable circumstances in which to combat the fire and the performance of your men merits and receives our greatest praise.” A similar letter of thanks was received on Tuesday, March 29, 1960, from Robert Esposti, recording secretary of the Enterprise Fire Co.: “The members of this organization would like to convey their sincere thanks to your company for your assistance at the recent fire we had at Atlantic Prestressed Concrete on March 17, 1960. You can take comfort in the fact that the willingness and attitude shown by you men reflects most commendably on your company.”

March 29, 1960
Lawrence Road firefighters were called out to aid Lawrenceville Fire Co. in battling a blaze that killed hundreds of chickens on the morning of Tuesday, March 29, 1960. A photograph of the fire was published in that night’s edition of the Trenton Evening Times, accompanied by the following caption: “Hundreds of chickens perished today in a fire that leveled White’s Hatchery on Federal City Road in Lawrence Township. Some 1,000 chickens were in the hatchery when the fire broke out and more than half of them died. Above, Lawrence Road firemen, holding dead chickens, view the debris. Firemen used water from the Craig White family’s swimming pool in the futile fire fight.” The next day, Wednesday, March 30, 1960, the newspaper published an update: “The fire was at 9:31 a.m. and caused damage estimated at $10,000. About 750 chickens were lost in the fire, which was believed touched off by electric wiring or brooder stoves located on the second floor of the three-story barn housing 1,000 chickens. About 50 volunteers from the Lawrenceville, Lawrence Road, and Pennington Road fire companies extinguished the blaze by about noon.”

May 30, 1960
A massive search for a missing 3-year-old boy started on the night of Monday, May 30, 1960. The Trenton Evening Times published the following account of the effort on the front page of the newspaper on Tuesday, May 31, 1960: “A 3-year-old boy who disappeared yesterday afternoon and was sought during the night by some 150 searchers was found safe this morning in a wooded area of Lawrence Township. The youngster, Tyrone Blake, was taken to Helene Fuld Hospital where he was examined and found to be in good condition. Clad in overalls and a light jersey, the boy told police he slept in the woods despite the intermittent rain. He was muddied and bedraggled but cheerful as a Lawrence Township special officer came upon him shortly before 9 a.m. The boy was found about 200 feet from the home of his grandmother, Mrs. John Williams of 5 Locust Avenue, where he had been visiting when he disappeared about 1 p.m. yesterday. Police were notified at 5 p.m. that the boy was missing. When a search of the Eggerts Crossing area by Patrolmen John Maple and Thomas Oakley failed to reveal his whereabouts an all-out hunt was organized. Lawrence Road Fire Co. was called out at 7 p.m., and an hour later the Slackwood and Lawrenceville fire companies and the Lawrence Road First Aid Squad joined in the search. All available policemen were also mobilized. The intensive search continued until 2:30 a.m. when it was temporarily suspended. It was resumed at 6:30 a.m. today. Police said the searchers at times came within a few feet of the spot where the boy was lying in dense undergrowth and briar patches. He failed to make a sound, however, and was passed by in the darkness. The boy was found this morning by Special Officer Moses Underwood. Police Chief Joseph Stonicker was in charge of the search.”

June 6, 1960
A dump fire kept Lawrence Road firefighters busy for several hours on Monday, June 6, 1960. The following was printed in the Trenton Evening Times on Tuesday, June 7, 1960: “Exploding paint cans enlivened a four-hour dump fire that was fought last night by members of the Lawrence Road Fire Co. The blaze at Brown’s dump on Eggerts Crossing Road caused no damage but was difficult to put out because of the material burning. Volunteers directed by Chief Linton Reed went out at 6 p.m. and continued on the job until nearly 10 o’clock.”

December 3, 1960
A woman who ran back into her burning home to save her belongings died in the early hours of Saturday, December 3, 1960. The Trenton Sunday Times Advertiser published the following account of the fire on December 4, 1960: “Mrs. Sarah D. Jones, 31, suffocated early yesterday when fire burned out the home of her brother with whom she lived at 262 Cheverly Road in Lawrence Township. (Editor’s Note: Company minutes list the fire building as 264 Cheverly Road). The brother, Samuel Driver, 34, escaped with his sons, Samuel, 11, and Terry, 6, and Mrs. Jones’ 7-year-old son, Larry. Mrs. Jones had fled with the rest of the occupants but reentered the burning house twice, evidently to regain her possessions, police said. Volunteers of the Lawrence Road and Slackwood fire companies responded to the alarm at 12:05 a.m. The firemen recovered the body of the victim. Mrs. Jones was pronounced dead on arrival at the Helene Fuld Hospital. Samuel Jr. was admitted to Helene Fuld for treatment of smoke inhalation. A neighbor required treatment at Mercer Hospital after she collapsed at the fire scene. The small frame house near Eggerts Crossing was gutted by the fire, which started in the kitchen, Fire Marshal John Dempster said. Patrolman John Maple investigated for Lawrence Township police.”

December 20, 1960
A cow was killed in a garage fire on the night of Tuesday, December 20, 1960. The following account was published in the Trenton Evening Times on Wednesday, December 21, 1960: “Fire last night destroyed a garage and killed a $200 beef steer that Willie Lavender of 39 Zoar Avenue was raising to stock his freezer. The freezer was also lost in the fire at Lavender’s small farm in Eldridge Park. Lavender said he had put the steer in the garage after the blizzard. The $2,000 estimated loss included a water pump and heater. The Lawrence Road Fire Co., assisted by other volunteers, prevented the fire from spreading to Lavender’s house. The alarm was given at 9:45 p.m. Patrolmen Joseph Katona and John Maple investigated. Firemen believe the blaze was caused by defective wiring.”

December 28, 1960
A house fire on Johnson Avenue in Lawrence Township that was first reported to Trenton police was burning out of control by the time Lawrence Road firefighters were alerted on the night of Wednesday, December 28, 1960. The following account was published in the Trenton Evening Times on Thursday, December 29, 1960: “A family of 11 was left homeless last night when their 1.5-story Lawrence Township home burned to the ground. The fire, which started in an overheated oil stove in the frame house of Alfred Eastmead Jr. at 265 Johnson Avenue, was out of control by the time firemen arrived. Flames were visible for miles and hundreds of persons were attracted to the scene to watch the spectacular blaze. Eastmead and his wife were not home when the fire broke out at 5:12 p.m. but their oldest son, Leroy, 15, led eight brothers and sisters and two cousins to safety. The boy tried unsuccessfully to put out the blaze with a garden hose. Fire officials said the family lost all their belongings. The children are split up among neighbors today. Eastmead had driven to pick up his wife in Hopewell, where she works, when the fire started. Firemen lost several minutes in reaching the scene when the fire call was made to Trenton police. It took firemen some time to learn the blaze was in Lawrence Township. The fire was raging out of control by the time the Lawrence Road Fire Co. arrived. The company was assisted by the Lawrenceville and Slackwood fire companies and brought under control in three hours.”

In a report given during the meeting held on Monday, January 8, 1962, Chief Linton Reed Jr. reported that in 1961 Lawrence Road firefighters used 1,850 feet of booster hose, 950 feet of 1.5-inch hose, and 2,050 feet of 2.5-inch hose. Truck 221 traveled 483 miles during the year, Truck 222 traveled 1,004 miles, and Truck 223 traveled 576 miles, according to the chief’s report.

April 9, 1961
On Sunday, April 9, 1961, 1st Assistant Chief William Walter Jr. suffered a line-of-duty injury, according to documents filed with the fire company’s insurance company. The nature of the injury is unclear but Walter received treatment at Helene Fuld Hospital. According to company minutes, Lawrence Road firefighters were called to extinguish a grass fire on Rossa Avenue on April 9, 1961.

May 25, 1961
Lawrence Road Firefighter Robert Ross was injured while battling a house fire on Thursday, May 25, 1961. The following account was published in the Trenton Evening Times on Friday, May 26, 1961: “A fireman was overcome by smoke and a family of four was forced to evacuate their home when fire swept a house at 216 Johnson Avenue about 8 o’clock last night. Treated at Helene Fuld Hospital for smoke poisoning was Robert Ross, 23, of 36 Forrest Avenue, a member of the Lawrence Road Fire Co. The bedroom at the home of Edward Gibson was gutted and smoke damage was reported throughout the house. Gibson’s mother-in-law and his three children were at home when the fire started. Firemen from the Lawrence Road and Slackwood fire companies fought the blaze for more than an hour. The fire was believed to have originated in two mattresses in the bedroom. Ross was taken to the Fuld Hospital in a Lawrence Township First Aid Squad ambulance.”

June 28, 1961
The following letter, dated Wednesday, June 28, 1961, was sent by the Lawrence Road Fire Co. and Lawrence Township First Aid Squad to the township committee: “Due to the large volume of traffic on the Lawrence Road it is becoming increasingly hazardous for the first aid squad and fire company to enter this road from their quarters when responding to emergency calls. At the present time, we have signal lights located near the firehouse on each side of Lawrence Road. These lights are inadequate for safe traffic warning. The lights are activated to a red color by depressing a button in the firehouse and a person must hold this button in for as long as it is desired to have the light remain lit. This arrangement is of no value to the First Aid Squad and, due to the fact that the lights are off to the side of the road and are not continually giving a caution warning, many motorists and even area residents are not aware of their presence. Quite often motorists have driven past these red signals nearly causing accidents. From observation and contact with other emergency organizations having the same problem we find that prominently located blinking signal lights have been a great help in reducing the hazards for both the emergency vehicle crews and the motoring public. These signal lights would blink amber continually as a caution warning and switch to red only when indication is given from the fire or ambulance house that their vehicles are about to enter the roadway. An additional safety factor would be the installation of caution signs warning the approaching motorists of the presence of emergency vehicles. We believe that official consideration should be given to this problem before a serious accident occurs such as suffered by the Slackwood Fire Co. some years ago…”

July 6, 1961
The following letter, dated Thursday, July 6, 1961, was sent by Township Clerk Marie Loveless to the supervising engineer of the state highway department: “Enclosed herewith please find a copy of communication received from the Lawrence Road Fire Co. and the Lawrence Township First Aid Squad, which was presented and discussed at the regular meeting of the township committee on Wednesday, July 5, 1961. The Lawrence Township Committee has approved this request and is forwarding it to you for your careful consideration. The township committee also discussed the use of this light in connection with services at St. Anns Church, where there is considerable pedestrian traffic crossing back and forth and considerable traffic during the time of services, and felt therefore that this light would be serving two purposes. It was also discussed that possibly the light could be controlled either by the officer on church duty or by a manual push button that could be used by pedestrians. Since this condition is becoming more serious each week for both the First Aid Squad and fire company in emergencies, we would appreciate your earliest consideration on this matter.”

August 25, 1961
This letter, dated Friday, August 25, 1961, was sent by Vice President Robert Hazen to the Mercer County Board of Freeholders: “Our organization is planning to improve its facilities. The first step in this improvement is the grading of an area between the firehouse and Marlboro Road. In order to properly grade this land we must remove a large tree which not only interferes with the grading but also creates a safety hazard by obstructing a view of the front of the firehouse. This tree is located near the corner of Lawrence and Marlboro roads directly adjacent the traffic control signal. We will greatly appreciate any assistance you would extend to us in this matter.”

September 19, 1961
On the morning of Thursday, September 19, 1961, the Lawrence Road Fire Co. was called out to help Slackwood firefighters at a structure fire at the Trenton Paper Corp. A photograph and the following story were published on the front page of that night’s edition of the Trenton Evening Times: “Fire caused heavy damage to the north wing of the Trenton Paper Corp. on New York Avenue near the Trenton Freeway this morning. The blaze erupted in a corner of the building where hot asphalt is used to saturate paper to process it into tar paper. An employee was the first to see the fire. He was working outside the building shortly before 9:30 a.m. Witnesses said flames burst through the roof of the one-story, cinderblock building. Dense clouds of smoke followed. Despite poor visibility, the thick smoke could be seen several miles away. The Slackwood, Lawrence Road and Lawrenceville fire companies responded. Slackwood Assistant Chief William Ranke Jr. was in charge. It took more than a half-hour before the fire was brought under control. Most of the fire was concentrated in the corner of the building where hot asphalt is fed inside a 3,500-gallon tank outside the building. The firemen were able to contain the blaze in the saturation room and to keep the flames from the outside asphalt tank. Firefighters were concerned that the heat might explode the asphalt tank. There was one casualty. Joseph Hopkins, 28, of 2322 Princeton Pike, a member of the Slackwood Fire Co., was overcome by smoke. He was taken to the Helene Fuld Hospital, treated and released. The firm’s asphalting machinery and all other equipment in the saturating room was a total loss. A worker said there were about 100 large rolls of paper, each 1,200 pounds, in the room. Fire officials are investigating to determine the cause of the blaze. A section of the same storage room was damaged by fire several years ago, firemen reported.”

October 23, 1961
During the meeting held on Monday, October 23, 1961, “A notice was received from the Township of Lawrence concerning the new building that the First Aid Squad is going to build. George Welde reported the stucco job is complete. Also the chimney was removed. The Ladies Auxiliary will pay for the painting of the inside of the hall. The Building committee will get prices on painting the outside of the building. Chief Linton Reed suggested we get a gutter put up because rain is already discoloring the stucco job on the generator building. Al Muskewitz suggested we fix and paint the flag pole. Chief Reed said somebody ran into the traffic signal light out front. A letter will be written again to the township about getting new signal lights out front.”

November 13, 1961
During the meeting held on Monday, November 13, 1961, “George Welde said letters for the name of the fire company cost $5 each George said also that metal letters would be better than plastic letters. A motion was passed that we get the sign put out front only. It was decided not to put any lettering on the side of building at this time. It was passed to let the Building committee make the arrangements for waterproofing our stucco after checking with the stucco man to make sure it doesn’t interfere with our guarantee. Chief Linton Reed reported the township has a new number for reporting fires and emergencies. It is TW 6-1111.”

November 14, 1961
The following letter, dated Tuesday, November 14, 1961, was sent by Lawrence Road Fire Co. to the township committee: “A short time ago you were notified by the Lawrence Road Fire Co. and Lawrence Township First Aid Squad of the inadequate traffic control signals on Lawrence Road in front of the firehouse. Recently one of these signals has suffered damage which not only renders it completely useless as a signal but also creates an additional safety hazard to pedestrians using the sidewalk adjacent this ‘leaning light.’ We realize that these control signals are under state jurisdiction and that our previous letter to you was forwarded to the state for their consideration. We would appreciate it if you would notify the state of the recent development in this matter as it may help to expedite their study of our problem. In addition, we would like to reemphasize our previous request for the installation of caution signs warning approaching motorists of the presence of emergency vehicles. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation…”

December 8, 1961
A structure fire broke out on Lewisville Road in the early morning hours of Friday, December 8, 1961. The following story was published in that night’s edition of the Trenton Evening Times: “Newly installed electrical wiring short-circuited and ignited a fire in the second floor addition at the home of Johnnie Lee Miller on Lewisville Road, Lawrenceville, at about 6:30 a.m. today. Police said the fire started when Miller’s young daughter turned the electrical switch on for the wiring that had been installed last night by Miller. The entire second floor addition was gutted by flames. Police said Miller had been building the addition by himself for about a year. Firemen from the Lawrenceville and Lawrence Road fire companies, under Chiefs John Maple and Linton Reed, respectively, fought the flames for nearly an hour and were not able to return to headquarters for two hours. Extensive smoke and water damage was reported throughout the frame house.”

In a report given during the meeting held on Monday, January 14, 1963, Chief Linton Reed Jr. reported that during 1962 the Lawrence Road Fire Co. used 4,350 feet of booster hose, 1,350 feet of 1.5-inch hose, and 4,900 feet of 2.5-inch hose. The company was in service for a total of 52 hours and 30 minutes, according to the chief’s report.

February 2, 1962
A riot at the Crossing Inn on Friday, February 2, 1962, prompted a response from Lawrence Road firefighters. The following account was published in the Trenton Sunday Times Advertiser on February 4, 1962: “Lawrence Township police, helped by firemen and Ewing police, put down a noisy brawl among scores of patrons in the Crossing Inn on Eggerts Crossing Road late Friday night. Fights broke out, police said, when the customers were told after 11 p.m. that the star performer of the late show had telephoned he was in an auto accident and couldn’t make it. Chief Linton Reed of the Lawrence Road Fire Co. and Police Chief Joseph Stonicker had checked the place at 9 o’clock on a complaint it was overcrowded. Stonicker’s men called for assistance when the commotion started later. At least six were arrested but four got away in the commotion. Lawrence Road firemen, 18 strong, charged two 1.5-inch lines with water and entered the place to help the police keep order. The melee faded under the threat of a hosedown...” A followup, published in the Trenton Evening Times on Wednesday, February 7, 1962, stated: “A report on a series of disorders at the Crossing Inn, dating to 1960, will be presented tonight at a meeting of the Lawrence Township Committee. Police Chief Joseph Stonicker said he expects Chief Linton Reed of the Lawrence Road Fire Co. to join him in asserting that the owners of the tavern have not been able to maintain order on their premises...”

February 22, 1962
On the morning of Thursday, February 22, 1962, Lawrence Road firefighters were first dispatched to cover Pennington Road and then called into the scene of a house fire at 164 Browning Avenue in Ewing. According to a story in that night’s Trenton Evening Times, the fire started in a second-floor bedroom closet and caused extensive damage. A parakeet perished in the blaze.

March 10, 1962
The following letter, dated Saturday, March 10, 1962, was sent by Corresponding Secretary Donald Cermele to Lawrence Township Mayor Charles E. Connell Jr.: “At the joint meeting of the Lawrence Township fire companies held on February 26, 1962, at the Lawrence Road Fire Co. hall, the matter of the use of Lawrence Township fire companies to quell civil disturbances or ‘riots’ was discussed at great length. The discussion produced several important questions which we feel must be answered satisfactorily by qualified persons in the event similar disturbances necessitate the use of our men and equipment in the future. Three major points we feel must be defined and explained are: what constitutes a riot; what are the duties of a volunteer fireman when assisting in quelling a riot; who is liable, and to what extent, for any damage or injury inflicted or received by volunteer firemen when assisting in quelling a riot. We have been informed that the Lawrenceville Fire Co. has invited the Chief of Police and the committeeman in charge of public safety to attend their next meeting on March 12, 1962. Our organization will have two representatives present at this meeting and we hope that answers to the above questions will be forthcoming.”

March 24, 1962
On Saturday, March 24, 1962, Lawrence Road Firefighter Joseph Cermele suffered smoke inhalation while fighting a brush fire. He was treated at a local hospital and later released.

April 12, 1962
The following letter, dated April 12, 1962, was sent to Lawrence Township Clerk Marie Loveless by Harry Hartmann, the supervising engineer of the state highway department: “This is in reference to your letter of July 6, 1961, requesting a traffic control signal at the above intersection (U.S. Route 206 and Lawrence Road firehouse). Our investigation indicates that traffic control signals are not warranted at the present time. It is believed that the addition of the First Aid Squad behind the firehouse will not appreciably create undue difficulty for emergency equipment entering U.S. Route 206. It should be pointed out that the existing signal equipment at this intersection, which is not owned by the state highway department, is illegal and should be removed. The removal of this equipment is not suggested only because of its illegality but because of the method of operation that presents a hazardous condition that could contribute to accidents at this location.”

April 26, 1962
Lawrence Road firefighters responded mutual aid to the scene of a building fire in Ewing Township on the morning of Thursday, April 26, 1962. The following account was published in that night’s edition of the Trenton Evening Times: “Fire burned out the boiler room and a small shop in the original Parkway Shopping Center on Lexington Avenue near the intersection of Parkway and Olden avenues today. Firemen brought the blaze in the charred utility room under control within 25 minutes but dense smoke had spread through at least six shops and offices. The blaze was battled by volunteers from the Prospect Heights, Pennington Road, West Trenton and Lawrence Township fire companies. The blaze reportedly was ignited by the explosion of a propane gas tank in a composition shop operated by Al Virok. Virok reported he was melting metal to pour ingots when the explosion and fire broke out about 1 p.m. Smoke damage was reported in Tony’s Barber Shop, Parkway Beauty Salon, Delaware Valley Combustion Equipment Co., Parkway Decorators, J.Z. Art Service, F.W. Dodge Corp., and Parkway hobby Center. Fans were used to clear the pall of smoke from the building. The Lexington Avenue front portion is 1.5 stories high, the rear one story high. The structures lies about 100 feet behind the newer Parkway Shopping Center. Chief Frank LaBaw of Prospect Heights took charge of the firefighting. Streams of water pumped through six lines made quick work of the blaze.”

December 17, 1962
Another structure fire broke out at the Trenton Paper Co. on the night of Monday, December 17, 1962. A following account was published in the Trenton Evening Times on Tuesday, December 18, 1962: “Firemen remained today to wet down the charred ruins of buildings and paper-making machinery of the Trenton Paper Co. at 1600 New York Avenue. The plant was wrecked in a spectacular blaze that sent flames shooting out of the factory and embers across the Trenton Freeway. More than a hundred firemen from Lawrence, Ewing and Hamilton townships were on the scene with a ladder company from Trenton. Kerosene used by Manuel Carrera as a regular procedure to clear paper fibers from a perforated calendar roll set ablaze the machinery and drying paper, police said. The blaze began shortly after 7 o’clock last night in the one-story cinderblock building in which bales of newsprint were also stored awaiting repulping. Carrera tried to fight the fire but found it getting away from him. He and several other employees fled after turning in an alarm. Chief William Ranke of the Slackwood Fire Co. called for other units. In all, eleven engines responded. Because of flying embers and heat from the blaze, traffic on the freeway was detoured at Whitehead Road and at Strawberry Street. Firemen had the blaze under control by 10 p.m. Fireman Cornelius B. Simonse, 28, of 32 Phillips Avenue, remains in Helene Fuld Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. He was the only casualty. Hamilton Township firemen put out an upholstery fire in a 1960 auto parked on Lakeside Drive near Whitehead Road. It was apparently started by a flying ember.